Monday, November 23, 2009

take a walk…

1Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
2But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
4Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
5Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

………………………………………………. Psalm 1 (NIV)

I remember memorizing this as a child, and I never forgot the first three verses, so lately, as we have been going on a journey as a church into “new territory” with our faith and with our lives (and they are really one and the same, are they not?), these three verses have tumbled around in my head.

What does it mean to walk in the counsel of the wicked, or sit in the seat of mockers?  I mean, what is the practical reality of those poetic lines?  I could give all sorts of pat answers, “Sunday school” clichés, and never truly identify whether or not I understand the implications of those lines.

Here is a thought: It is the same thing to “Not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners” as it is to “delight in the Law of the Lord.”  If my heart’s desire and delight is in the Lord, my heart will have no part of wickedness. 

I, being ‘of the flesh,’ sin every day, and fall into the trap of the wicked. I am thankful, then that the blood of the Lamb redeems me so that I might know what it means to delight in the Law of the Lord.

My prayer is that I would desire to meditate on His Law both day and night.

No comments: