Saturday, March 13, 2010

theology

“Every Christian is a theologian, not just academically trained Christians, … but every Christian. ... Part of Christian maturity is doctrinal sophistication…”
– William Lane Craig

Ephesians 4: 13-15: “…Until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro… by every wind of doctrine…”
Galatians 1:6-9: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and turning to a different gospel, not that there is another gospel, but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preach to you, let him be accursed …”
Titus 1: 9: “… [the elder] must hold firm to the sure Word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to refute those who contradict him.

The above quote and Scripture references are taken from a Sunday school lesson given by William L. Craig. I’ve been listening to Craig and others in online lessons/sermons as a means to broaden my horizons.  I really appreciate the theme of this particular lessons, since it admonishes that we should all be theologians.  Not that I am called to pastor a church, nor do I have any designs on taking over church leadership, but I do feel called to be as knowledgeable as any one of the pastors in my (or any other) church, since that is what God expects from me, from all of us who are Believers.  This is necessary so that I can stand on my faith and trust in the Lord rather than leaning on my own understanding.  I believe that the more I know of Christ, the more He will rule my life.  I do not want to negate prayer as I emphasize the importance of knowing sound doctrine. Prayer is an integral part of the life of a Believer, and I believe I am called to live a life full of prayer and study of the Word.

No comments: