Thursday, March 07, 2013

Ever get into a situation when you were in school, while on the job, or even with friends, where everyone begins to get sick of each other and odd little fights break out and people get restless-- people forget things or just seem to unravel at the seams, best friends aren't speaking to each other?  That's a pretty common situation in a small, private school.  I remember times like that when I was in high school, and I've seen my fair share of 'unrest' in my eight years of teaching.  Not sure what causes the unrest and the extra dose of bumps and bruises or why it suddenly seems to pop up out of nowhere, especially when a break from routine is in sight; but it does.  This week I found myself handing out more band-aids than usual, distributing pony-tail holders, lending Tide-to-Go, giving permission to turn in homework late... a couple of times, even having to help patch up broken hearts and wounded relationships, young girls in my office crying over I-honestly-don't-know.  Rough stuff!  Today I found myself turning to the following passage in Isaiah during class devotions, stop focusing on our human issues and instead look beyond ourselves ...

Seek the Lord while he may be found, call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake his ways and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the Lord and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God for he will freely pardon.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

As the rain and snow come down from heaven,
and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty
but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

You will go out with joy and be led forth with peace
the mountains and the hills will break forth with song before you
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be the Lord's renown for an everlasting sign that will not be destroyed."
Isaiah 55: 6-13

image: booneweather.com, 2/8/13 photo of the day

No comments: