Tuesday, August 12, 2014

On teaching

"Not many of you should become teachers because you know that those who teach will be judged more strictly... Who is wise among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." James 3.

For all my Biblical-scholar friends or those who simply understand the importance of NOT taking Scripture passages out of context: I know this verse refers to teachers of the Word, to people called to preach and teach from Scripture, but I think it is a good reminder for teachers in general as well. Tomorrow I head back to work for my 5th year at KCHS and I am so thankful to work with such incredible colleagues. Over the past nine years of teaching, I've learned that kids REALLY pay attention to what teachers DO -- they pay attention to what we say, especially when it's not relevant to the lesson. Students want to know what we believe and they want to know why we believe it. Our lessons about Christ will be far more valuable and believable when we act out our faith in Him.

No comments: