Friday, May 22, 2009

light…

Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart, but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. (II Corinthians 4: 1-6)

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,… (Philippians 2: 14-16)

 

Jesus said “I have come into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me will not remain in the darkness.” (John 12:46)  According to Paul, we who believe in Jesus reflect that light to the world. 

How well am I reflecting Jesus’ light, the light of the gospel, to the world (to fellow believers, to non-believers)?  Am I truly commending myself to every man’s conscience as Paul says in II Corinthians?  Obviously this is something I must work toward daily and consciously.  The paradox is that it isn’t by MY strength that I am pushing toward this end, but through Christ’s strength. It is through Christ that I glorify Christ; the Holy Spirit is my helper in running the race; without Christ I am  nothing

No comments: